Before undergoing gastric sleeve surgery patients need to undergo a diet to shrink the liver. Most obese patients have a condition called fatty liver, this fatty liver obstructs the view needed to perform the surgery. Patients need to follow these diet instructions to shrink the liver, allowing you to successfully (reduce complications and risks) undergo gastric sleeve.
Gastric Sleeve Pre-Surgery Diet Guidelines
The main parameters of the diet are to consume 800 to 1000 calories per day in liquids and liquid-based protein shakes. One compliant patient on this pre-op diet make is irritability and headaches – which are normal. Basic guidelines:
- Patients Need to Consume 64 ounces of water every day.
- No herbal medications 7 days before surgery.
- Do not take: Asprin, Advil, Nuprin, Aleve, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications for 7 days before surgery.
- You may take needed medications (such as heart or blood pressure medications) with sips of water the morning of surgery as directed by our Doctors.
One Week to Two Weeks Before
- Patients need to consume two protein drinks/shakes per day: Morning and Afternoon (Protein should be high-quality Whey and contain at least 15 grams)
- Dinner should contain protein mixed with a salad. The dressing should be low-fat or fat-free dressings. ( Vinegar or Olive Oil acceptable)
- Drink 1 Protein Drink if Needed.
- Take Metamucil, if needed for hunger.
2 to 3 Days Before VSG Surgery
A few day before vsg surgery, you are required to be on a strict clear liquid diet only. This prepares your stomach for the gastric sleeve procedure.
- You cannot eat or drink after midnight preceding surgery or 8 hours prior to your surgery.
- If you are coming the same day the surgery is performed, then you need to arrive on an empty stomach.
- Take a laxative (any laxative that you usually use). Take only clear liquids after that. This consists of broth, Jell-o, sugar-free juice, any clear liquid.